Dave Was NOT Ready for Amber’s Question About Wayne!
Dave Was NOT Ready for Amber’s Question About Wayne!
Dave thought he had finally managed to keep everything under control.
For the past few days, he had been dealing with business problems, unexpected phone calls, and questions from people who seemed to know more than they should.
But there was one person he had been carefully avoiding talking about.
Wayne.
Dave knew Amber was suspicious.
He could see it in the way she looked at him whenever Wayne's name came up.
So Dave made a decision.
He wouldn't bring Wayne up.
He wouldn't mention the business.
And most importantly, he wouldn't tell Amber anything that could create another argument.
Unfortunately for Dave, Amber had already made up her mind.
She wanted answers.
It happened one evening when Dave walked into the house after spending several hours away.
Amber was sitting quietly in the living room.
Dave smiled.
“Hey.”
Amber didn't respond.
Dave stopped.
He immediately knew something was wrong.
“Everything okay?”
Amber slowly looked up.
“We need to talk.”
Dave sighed.
“About what?”
Amber stared directly at him.
“Wayne.”
Dave's smile disappeared.
For several seconds, he said absolutely nothing.
Amber noticed.
“Why did you suddenly get quiet?”
“I didn't.”
“You did.”
Dave walked toward the kitchen.
“Amber, I'm tired. Can we talk tomorrow?”
“No.”
He stopped.
Amber stood up.
“Every time I mention Wayne, you suddenly have somewhere to go.”
Dave turned around.
“That's not true.”
“Then answer me.”
“Answer what?”
Amber folded her arms.
“What exactly is going on between you and Wayne?”
Dave looked away.
“Nothing.”
Amber laughed.
“Nothing?”
“Yes.”
“Then why have you been acting strange every time his name comes up?”
Dave rubbed his forehead.
“Because there's a lot going on.”
“That's not an answer.”
Dave tried to walk past her.
Amber stepped in front of him.
“I asked you a simple question.”
Dave sighed.
“What do you want me to say?”
“The truth.”
Dave stared at her.
Amber's voice became calmer.
“Is Wayne in trouble?”
Dave didn't answer.
That silence told Amber everything.
Her expression changed.
“Oh my God.”
Dave immediately said, “It's not what you think.”
Amber shook her head.
“You just said that without me even telling you what I think.”
Dave realized he had made things worse.
Amber stepped closer.
“What's happening?”
Dave lowered his voice.
“Wayne has some business problems.”
“What kind of problems?”
“Financial.”
“How serious?”
Dave hesitated.
“Pretty serious.”
Amber stared at him.
“And you knew?”
Dave nodded.
“For how long?”
“A few days.”
“And you didn't tell me?”
“I was trying to protect you.”
Amber shook her head.
“Protect me from what?”
Dave didn't answer.
“Dave.”
He finally sat down.
“There are things happening that I don't fully understand myself.”
Amber sat across from him.
“Then tell me what you do know.”
Dave took a deep breath.
“Wayne was involved in a major business deal.”
“I know.”
Dave looked surprised.
“How?”
Amber smiled slightly.
“I pay attention.”
Dave continued.
“The deal started falling apart. Then some documents disappeared.”
Amber's eyes widened.
“Disappeared?”
“Yeah.”
“From where?”
“Wayne's office.”
Amber became serious.
“Was it an accident?”
“We don't know.”
“Then what does Wayne think?”
Dave looked at her.
“He thinks somebody betrayed him.”
Amber's expression hardened.
“Someone close to him?”
Dave nodded.
“Possibly.”
Amber leaned back.
“So that's why you've been meeting him?”
“Yes.”
“What have you two been doing?”
“Trying to figure out who took the documents.”
Amber stared at Dave.
Then she asked the question he wasn't prepared for.
“Dave, do you think Wayne is lying to you?”
Dave froze.
He hadn't expected that.
“Why would you ask that?”
“Because you haven't answered me honestly all night.”
Dave stood up.
“Amber, I trust Wayne.”
“That's not what I asked.”
Dave remained silent.
Amber continued.
“You said someone betrayed him. You said someone stole documents. You said you don't know what's happening.”
She paused.
“So how do you know Wayne isn't hiding something from you?”
Dave looked uncomfortable.
“I don't know.”
Amber's eyes widened.
“You don't know?”
“No.”
“Then why are you defending him?”
“I'm not defending him!”
“You are!”
Dave's voice rose.
“I've known Wayne for a long time!”
“And that means he can't lie?”
Dave stopped.
Amber's words hit him hard.
She walked toward the window.
“I don't want to accuse anybody.”
“Then what are you saying?”
“I'm saying you need to be careful.”
Dave stared at her.
“Careful of Wayne?”
“Careful of everyone.”
Dave looked down.
Then his phone buzzed.
Both of them looked at it.
A message from Wayne.
Dave opened it.
“Don't tell Amber anything yet. I need to talk to you first.”
Dave's face went pale.
Amber noticed.
“What did he say?”
Dave locked the phone.
“Nothing important.”
Amber stared at him.
“You just lied to me.”
Dave sighed.
“Amber…”
She held out her hand.
“Give me the phone.”
“No.”
“Why?”
“Because this is complicated.”
Amber's expression became hurt.
“You keep saying that.”
Dave looked at the message again.
Then his phone buzzed a second time.
Another message from Wayne.
“She already knows, doesn't she?”
Dave's eyes widened.
Amber saw his reaction.
“What did he say?”
Dave finally admitted:
“He knows we've been talking about him.”
Amber stepped closer.
“How?”
“I don't know.”
Then Dave received a phone call.
It was Wayne.
Dave answered.
“Wayne?”
Wayne sounded nervous.
“Are you with Amber?”
Dave looked at Amber.
“Yes.”
There was silence.
Then Wayne said:
“Then I need to tell both of you something.”
Amber immediately leaned closer.
“What?”
Wayne's voice became serious.
“The person who took the documents wasn't working alone.”
Dave's expression changed.
“What are you saying?”
“I found evidence that somebody inside the business helped them.”
Amber looked at Dave.
“Who?”
Wayne hesitated.
“I don't know yet.”
Dave asked:
“Then why did you tell me not to tell Amber anything?”
Wayne was silent.
Amber immediately noticed.
“That's a good question.”
Wayne finally answered.
“Because I didn't know who I could trust.”
Amber's expression softened slightly.
“And now?”
Wayne took a breath.
“Now I'm starting to think the person I trusted most may have been involved.”
Dave stood up.
“You think it's me?”
“I didn't say that.”
“But you were talking about someone close to you.”
Wayne didn't answer.
Dave became frustrated.
“Wayne, after everything we've been through, you really think I'd betray you?”
“I don't know anymore.”
The call ended.
Dave slowly lowered the phone.
Amber looked at him.
“You see why I asked?”
Dave nodded.
“Yeah.”
He sat down.
For the first time, he realized Amber wasn't simply being suspicious.
She had noticed something he hadn't.
A few minutes later, Dave's phone buzzed again.
This time, it wasn't Wayne.
It was an unknown number.
The message contained a photograph.
Dave opened it.
His eyes widened.
Amber immediately asked:
“What is it?”
Dave turned the screen toward her.
The photograph showed Wayne standing outside the office with another person.
Amber recognized the location.
“That's Wayne's office.”
Dave nodded.
“But look at the person standing next to him.”
Amber stared at the picture.
Then her expression changed.
“Dave…”
“What?”
“I know that person.”
Dave looked at her.
“Who is it?”
Amber slowly answered.
“Someone who told me they had never met Wayne.”
Dave's eyes widened.
Suddenly, everything changed.
The missing documents.
The mysterious messages.
The business deal.
The secret meetings.
It all seemed connected.
Dave stood up.
“We need to find out who that is.”
Amber nodded.
“But before we do…”
She looked directly at Dave.
“You're going to answer my original question.”
Dave sighed.
“Which one?”
“Do you trust Wayne?”
Dave looked at the photograph one more time.
After a long pause, he answered:
“I want to.”
Amber nodded.
“But?”
Dave's expression became serious.
“But I think we need to find out the truth before I can.”
Amber grabbed her keys.
“Then let's go.”
Dave looked surprised.
“Where?”
“To Wayne.”
Dave hesitated.
“You're coming?”
Amber opened the door.
“You wanted answers.”
She looked back at him.
“So do I.”
Neither of them knew what they were about to discover.
Because waiting for them at Wayne's office was another shocking surprise.
Someone had already been there.
And on Wayne's desk was a single envelope.
Written across the front were four words:
“FOR DAVE AND AMBER ONLY.”
Dave stared at it.
Amber slowly reached for the envelope.
“Should we open it?”
Dave nodded.
“Whatever is inside…”
He paused.
“…is probably the reason Wayne didn't want me to tell you anything.”
Amber opened the envelope.
Inside was one photograph.
Dave looked at it.
His face went completely pale.
Amber covered her mouth.
Because the photograph appeared to prove one thing:
Wayne's biggest secret had been hidden from both of them all along.

Post a Comment