3 . OMG! Larry Gets a Call That Makes His Heart Drop — Sharra Has Been in a Car Crash


 

OMG! Larry Gets a Call That Makes His Heart Drop — Sharra Has Been in a Car Crash! 😱💔

Larry had always hated the sound of a phone ringing late at night.

There was something about it.

During the day, a phone call could mean anything. A friend checking in. Someone asking a question. A business call. Even an annoying telemarketer.

But after midnight?

A ringing phone felt different.

It felt like a warning.

That night, Larry was sitting alone in his living room, barely paying attention to the television playing in the background. The house was unusually quiet. Everyone else had already gone to bed, and Larry had been scrolling through his phone while occasionally glancing at the screen.

Then—

RING.

Larry looked down.

His heart immediately tightened.

The number wasn't saved.

He frowned.

"Who is calling me at this hour?"

The phone continued vibrating against the table.

RING.

Larry hesitated before answering.

Something inside him told him not to.

But he finally picked it up.

"Hello?"

For several seconds, there was silence.

Then a man's voice came through.

"Is this Larry?"

Larry sat up straight.

"Yes. Who is this?"

The man's voice was serious.

"I'm calling from the emergency department at—"

Larry's stomach dropped.

Emergency department?

He immediately stood.

"What happened?"

The man paused.

"Sir, I'm afraid I have some difficult news."

Larry's fingers tightened around the phone.

"Who?"

"We have a patient here named Sharra."

Everything stopped.

The television.

The ticking clock.

The sound of the refrigerator.

Larry heard none of it anymore.

Only one name.

Sharra.

"What happened to her?" Larry whispered.

"There was a car accident."

Larry's face went pale.

"No."

The word escaped before he could even think.

"Sir, I need you to stay calm."

"Where is she?"

"She's here at the hospital."

"Is she alive?"

The question came out broken.

There was another pause.

"Yes. She's alive."

Larry closed his eyes.

For one tiny second, relief rushed through him.

Then the fear returned.

"How bad is it?"

"We're treating her now. She was involved in a fairly serious collision."

Larry's knees suddenly felt weak.

He grabbed the back of the chair.

"I'll be there."

"Sir—"

"I'm coming."

He hung up.

For several seconds, Larry simply stood there.

He couldn't move.

He couldn't breathe properly.

His mind was racing.

Sharra.

The car.

The crash.

The hospital.

He grabbed his jacket with shaking hands.

Then he stopped.

His phone was still in his hand.

He stared at it as if somehow the screen might explain what was happening.

"Please," he whispered.

"Please let her be okay."

Then Larry ran out the door.


THE DRIVE TO THE HOSPITAL

Larry had never driven so nervously in his life.

Every red light felt like torture.

Every car in front of him felt like it was moving too slowly.

His hands were locked around the steering wheel.

"Come on..."

He kept glancing at the clock.

Then at the road.

Then at his phone.

He wanted to call the hospital again.

He wanted to call someone who might know more.

But what if they told him something worse?

His mind kept replaying the same question.

How bad is it?

He didn't know.

And not knowing was destroying him.

Finally, his phone rang.

Larry nearly jumped.

He answered immediately.

"Hello?"

It was Bethany.

"Larry? Where are you?"

His voice cracked.

"I'm going to the hospital."

There was silence.

"Why?"

Larry swallowed.

"It's Sharra."

Bethany immediately became serious.

"What happened?"

"She was in a car crash."

"What?!"

"I got a call from the hospital."

"Oh my God..."

"I don't know anything else."

"Is she—"

"She's alive."

Bethany let out a shaky breath.

"Okay."

"But they said it was serious."

"I'll meet you there."

Larry nodded even though she couldn't see him.

"Okay."

He ended the call.

His eyes filled with tears.

He quickly wiped them away.

Not now.

He couldn't break down now.

He had to get there.

He had to see her.


THE HOSPITAL

When Larry finally reached the hospital, he practically ran through the emergency entrance.

"Sharra!" he shouted.

A nurse approached him.

"Sir, can I help you?"

"I'm here for Sharra. She was brought in after a car accident."

The nurse checked the computer.

"Family?"

Larry hesitated.

"I'm... I'm someone very close to her."

The nurse looked at him carefully.

"She's still being treated."

Larry's heart sank.

"Can I see her?"

"Not yet."

"Please."

"Sir, the doctors are working with her."

"Please. I just need to know she's okay."

The nurse softened.

"I understand. Please have a seat."

Larry sat down.

But he couldn't stay still.

He stood.

Sat again.

Stood.

Walked three steps.

Turned around.

Sat again.

Every time the emergency room doors opened, his head snapped toward them.

Every stranger walking out made his heart race.

Then Bethany arrived.

"Larry!"

He turned.

She rushed toward him.

"Any news?"

Larry shook his head.

"Nothing."

Bethany hugged him.

Larry finally stopped fighting his emotions.

He buried his face against her shoulder.

"I should've known something was wrong."

"You couldn't have known."

"I should've called her."

"Larry..."

"What if the last time she saw my name on her phone, she was thinking about something I said?"

"Stop."

"What if—"

"Stop blaming yourself."

Larry looked at her.

His eyes were red.

"I can't lose her."

Bethany's expression softened.

"You haven't."

"But she's in there."

"Yes."

"And I don't know what's happening."

"I know."

They sat together.

Waiting.

Minutes became an hour.

Then another.

Finally, a doctor walked through the doors.

Larry stood immediately.

"Sharra?"

The doctor looked at him.

"Are you Larry?"

"Yes."

The doctor took a breath.

"She's stable."

Larry nearly collapsed from relief.

"Stable?"

"Yes."

"Is she awake?"

"Not yet."

Larry's expression fell.

The doctor continued.

"She has several injuries. We're monitoring her closely, and we've done the necessary scans."

Larry swallowed.

"Is she going to be okay?"

"We're optimistic, but it's too early to make promises."

Larry nodded slowly.

"Can I see her?"

"Briefly."


THE FIRST TIME LARRY SEES SHARRA

Larry followed the doctor down the hallway.

His heart pounded harder with every step.

Then the doctor opened the door.

Larry stopped.

There she was.

Sharra was lying in the hospital bed.

Her eyes were closed.

There were bandages on her arm, and monitoring equipment surrounded her.

Larry's heart shattered.

He slowly walked toward her.

"Sharra..."

No response.

He pulled a chair beside the bed.

He took her hand carefully.

It was warm.

That tiny bit of warmth nearly made him cry.

"I'm here."

His voice trembled.

"You hear me?"

Nothing.

Larry squeezed her hand gently.

"You scared me."

A tear rolled down his cheek.

"You really scared me."

He leaned closer.

"I got that call and..."

He couldn't finish.

His voice broke.

"I thought I was going to lose you."

Larry lowered his head.

For the first time that night, he allowed himself to cry.

"I don't know what I'd do without you."

Behind the glass, Bethany watched silently.

She had never seen Larry like this.

Not angry.

Not frustrated.

Not defensive.

Just terrified.

The kind of fear that came from realizing how quickly everything could disappear.


THEN SOMETHING HAPPENED

Larry was still holding Sharra's hand when suddenly—

Her fingers moved.

Larry froze.

He looked down.

"Sharra?"

Nothing.

Then her fingers moved again.

Larry jumped up.

"Doctor!"

The nurse rushed in.

Sharra's eyes slowly opened.

She looked confused.

Her lips moved.

Larry leaned closer.

"What?"

Her voice was barely audible.

"Larry?"

His heart broke all over again.

"Yeah."

He smiled through tears.

"I'm right here."

Sharra blinked.

"What happened?"

"You were in an accident."

Her eyes widened slightly.

"I... don't remember."

"It's okay."

Larry held her hand.

"You don't have to remember right now."

Sharra looked at him.

"You came?"

Larry almost laughed.

"Of course I came."

Her eyes filled with tears.

"I was scared."

"So was I."

"I thought..."

She stopped.

Larry leaned closer.

"What?"

"I thought I was alone."

Larry shook his head.

"Never."


THE MORNING AFTER

By morning, the hospital hallway was quiet.

Sunlight slowly appeared through the windows.

Larry was still sitting beside Sharra.

He hadn't left.

Not once.

Bethany eventually returned with coffee.

She handed one to Larry.

"You need to drink something."

Larry looked at it.

"I don't think I can."

"Drink."

He reluctantly took it.

Sharra was sleeping again.

Her condition was improving, but she still needed observation.

Larry stared at her.

"You know," Bethany whispered, "she's lucky."

Larry nodded.

"I know."

"You're lucky too."

Larry looked at her.

"What do you mean?"

"You got another chance to tell her what she means to you."

Larry looked back at Sharra.

He didn't answer immediately.

Then he whispered:

"I wasted a lot of time."

Bethany shook her head.

"Then don't waste any more."

Larry looked at Sharra again.

This time, he smiled.

"I won't."


SHARRA'S RECOVERY

The next few days weren't easy.

There were tests.

Doctors.

Medication.

Long nights.

Short conversations.

And moments when Larry's anxiety returned every time a monitor made a strange sound.

But slowly, Sharra improved.

She began sitting up.

Then talking more.

Then laughing.

One afternoon, Larry walked into her room carrying flowers.

Sharra looked at him.

"Those for me?"

Larry smiled.

"No, they're for the nurse."

Sharra laughed.

Larry grinned.

"Okay, okay. They're for you."

She reached for them.

"Thank you."

Larry sat beside her.

"You scared me more than anyone has ever scared me."

Sharra smiled.

"Sorry."

"Don't say sorry."

"Why?"

"Because you don't owe me an apology for surviving."

Sharra became quiet.

Larry reached for her hand.

"I'm just glad you're here."

She looked into his eyes.

"You really were scared?"

Larry laughed softly.

"Terrified."

"Why?"

He looked at her.

"Because you're important to me."

Sharra smiled.

"I know."

Larry raised an eyebrow.

"You knew?"

"Maybe."

"How?"

"Because you came running."

Larry smiled.

"I'd run a thousand miles."

Sharra's eyes filled with tears.

"Even after everything?"

"Especially after everything."


THE CALL THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING

Weeks later, Sharra was finally back home.

Larry stood outside her door.

She walked toward him slowly.

"I still can't believe I'm home."

Larry smiled.

"Neither can I."

Sharra looked at him.

"Do you remember the first thing you said when you saw me?"

Larry thought for a second.

"Something about you scaring me?"

She laughed.

"No."

"What?"

"You said you couldn't lose me."

Larry's smile disappeared.

He looked at her seriously.

"I meant it."

Sharra stepped closer.

"You almost lost me."

"I know."

"And you realized something."

Larry nodded.

"Yeah."

"What?"

He took a deep breath.

"That life is too short to keep pretending we have unlimited time."

Sharra looked at him silently.

Larry continued.

"That night, when I got that phone call, I thought about every conversation I'd postponed. Every apology I never made. Every time I told myself there would be tomorrow."

He shook his head.

"But tomorrow isn't guaranteed."

Sharra reached for his hand.

"So what are you going to do now?"

Larry smiled.

"Stop waiting for tomorrow."

She smiled back.

For the first time since the accident, there was no fear in either of their eyes.

Only gratitude.

Because one terrifying phone call had reminded them of something they had forgotten:

Sometimes life changes in a single second.

A phone rings.

A voice speaks.

And suddenly, everything you thought mattered doesn't matter anymore.

Larry had answered that phone expecting nothing.

Instead, he received the most terrifying news of his life.

But Sharra survived.

And because she survived, Larry got something even more precious than relief.

He got another chance.

Another morning.

Another conversation.

Another moment.

Another chance to say:

"I'm here."

And this time, he wasn't going anywhere. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.