10 . AMBER THOUGHT THE WORST WAS OVER… BUT ONE SHOCKING REVELATION LEFT HER COMPLETELY BROKEN
The rain lashed against the tall, iron-framed windows of the gallery, but inside, the atmosphere was warm, golden, and triumphant. Amber stood near the center of the room, looking at the plaque bearing her name beneath the centerpiece canvas.
Amber Vance: Redemption.
The title of the exhibition felt heavy, but it was also a badge of honor. For two years, her life had been a relentless storm. The public scandal that had wrongly stripped her of her studio, the malicious corporate smear campaign orchestrated by her former business partner, and the bitter legal battles that had nearly bankrupted her—it had all culminated in this single night. She had survived. The gallery was packed with critics, old friends who had stuck by her, and new collectors eager to buy her work.
As Julian, her steadfast lawyer and confidant, handed her a glass of sparkling water with a proud smile, Amber felt a profound sense of peace wash over her.
"They love you, Amber," Julian said, his eyes scanning the crowded room. "The critics are calling this a masterpiece comeback. The worst is officially behind you."
Amber laughed, the sound light and genuine for the first time in memory. "I actually believe it, Julian. I think I finally made it through."
She truly believed the nightmare was over. The settlement money had cleared that morning, her name was cleared across every major art publication, and her heart felt lighter than it had in years.
Midway through the evening, the gallery curator approached her with a slightly bewildered expression. "Amber, there’s a courier at the front desk. He insisted this go directly into your hands tonight. He said it was part of an estate archive release connected to your late mentor, Marcus."
A wave of nostalgia softened Amber's face. Marcus had passed away three years ago, right before the chaos of her scandal began. He had been like a father to her, and losing him had been the initial crack in her foundation.
"Thank you," Amber said, taking the heavy, leather-bound portfolio envelope.
She excused herself from the cluster of admirers and walked toward the quiet alcove at the back of the gallery, near her favorite painting in the collection—a turbulent ocean clearing into a calm horizon. Sitting alone on a velvet bench, she untied the red ribbon sealing the envelope.
Inside was a single handwritten letter on Marcus's distinctive cream-colored stationery, alongside a stack of financial documents bearing dates from four years ago—long before the public scandal ever broke.
Thinking it might be a final, unpublished note of encouragement from her beloved mentor, Amber unfolded the letter with a tender smile. But as her eyes scanned the elegant cursive, the smile instantly vanished. The warmth in the room seemed to evaporate, replaced by a suffocating, icy dread.
My dearest Amber,
If you are reading this, it means the settlement funds have cleared and you believe you have finally won. I am writing this from the grave because I lacked the courage to look you in the eyes while I drew breath.
You always wondered who leaked your private sketches to the corporate syndicate. You always believed it was your former partner trying to destroy you out of greed. It wasn't.
It was me.
I needed the money to pay off debts you never knew I had, and they approached me, offering a fortune for your early concepts. When your life imploded, I stood by your side and played the grieving mentor, watching you tear yourself apart trying to rebuild what I burned down with my own hands. I let you suffer. I let you take the blame.
Forgive me, if you can.
Amber stared at the words, her breath catching in her throat. The letters swam before her eyes, blurring behind a sudden rush of hot, blinding tears. She flipped frantically to the financial ledger beneath the letter. There were the wire transfers. Her mentor's signature. Clear as day.
The gallery around her faded into a distant, muffled hum. The laughter of the critics, the flashing cameras, the celebration of her triumph—it all dissolved into nothingness. The storm she thought she had outlived hadn't ended at all. It had simply been waiting in the dark, unleashed now by the one person she had trusted entirely.
Sitting alone in the golden light of her greatest achievement, Amber felt every piece of her carefully reconstructed world shatter into dust.
What is the next step Amber takes now that she knows the truth about Marcus

Post a Comment