Larry Tells Bethany He'll File for Divorce If She Goes Back to the Miami Surgeon
Larry Tells Bethany He'll File for Divorce If She Goes Back to the Miami Surgeon
The early morning sun streamed through the kitchen windows as Bethany quietly prepared breakfast. She had been unusually cheerful over the past few days, humming to herself while making coffee.
Larry noticed the change immediately.
"You seem happy today," he said as he walked into the kitchen.
Bethany smiled.
"I've been thinking about something."
Larry poured himself a cup of coffee.
"What is it?"
Bethany hesitated.
"I got a call yesterday."
"From who?"
She took a deep breath.
"From the clinic in Miami."
Larry slowly lowered his coffee mug.
"The surgeon?"
Bethany nodded.
"They want me to come back for another consultation."
The room suddenly became quiet.
Months earlier, Bethany had traveled to Miami for weight-loss surgery after carefully discussing the decision with her doctors. The procedure had gone well, and she had worked hard during her recovery.
Recently, however, she had been experiencing some discomfort and wanted to understand whether a follow-up evaluation might help.
"The clinic said it's just a routine consultation," Bethany explained. "They want to check on my progress and answer a few questions."
Larry didn't respond immediately.
Instead, he stared out the window.
Bethany noticed his expression.
"What's wrong?"
Larry sighed.
"I don't like the idea of you going back there."
She looked confused.
"Why?"
"I just don't."
Later that afternoon, Charlotte stopped by for a visit.
She found Bethany sitting alone in the living room.
"You look worried."
Bethany nodded.
"I told Larry the surgeon's office called."
"And?"
"He didn't take it well."
Charlotte sat beside her.
"Did he explain why?"
"Not really."
"He just said he doesn't want me going back."
Charlotte thought for a moment.
"Maybe he's scared."
"Scared of what?"
"Sometimes medical experiences leave family members anxious too."
Bethany considered that possibility.
"I hadn't thought about it that way."
That evening, Larry met Anthony for dinner.
Anthony immediately sensed something was bothering him.
"You've barely touched your food."
Larry rubbed his forehead.
"Bethany wants to go back to Miami."
Anthony looked puzzled.
"For another surgery?"
"No."
"A follow-up consultation."
Anthony nodded.
"That sounds pretty normal."
Larry sighed.
"I know."
"I just don't want her going through another stressful medical experience."
Anthony leaned forward.
"Have you told her that's what you're worried about?"
Larry looked down.
"Not exactly."
A few days later, Bethany received an email confirming that the clinic had scheduled a consultation appointment.
She printed the confirmation and placed it on the kitchen table.
When Larry came home from work, he immediately noticed the paper.
"So you scheduled it."
Bethany nodded.
"It's only a consultation."
Larry crossed his arms.
"I asked you not to."
Bethany remained calm.
"I appreciate your concern."
"But I also want to make informed decisions about my health."
Larry's frustration grew.
"You always think you know what's best."
Bethany looked surprised.
"What does that mean?"
"It means I don't think going back there is a good idea."
She took a slow breath.
"My doctor recommended that I keep up with my follow-up care."
Larry shook his head.
"I don't trust that clinic anymore."
Bethany gently replied,
"My local doctor and the surgeon are both part of my care team. I want to hear their advice before deciding anything."
The discussion quickly became emotional.
Neither of them was shouting.
But both were clearly upset.
Finally, Larry spoke words he immediately wished he could take back.
"If you go back to that surgeon..."
He paused.
Bethany stared at him.
"...I'll file for divorce."
The room fell completely silent.
Bethany couldn't believe what she had just heard.
"What?"
Larry looked away.
"I can't keep living with this constant fear."
Bethany's eyes filled with tears.
"So you're giving me an ultimatum?"
Larry didn't answer.
She quietly asked,
"You're asking me to choose between taking care of my health and staying married?"
Larry rubbed his face.
"I don't know anymore."
Bethany picked up the appointment confirmation and slowly walked upstairs.
She closed the bedroom door behind her.
For the next hour, she sat quietly, trying to process everything.
She had expected concern.
Questions.
Maybe even disagreement.
She had never expected her marriage to be placed on the line.
Charlotte arrived the following morning after Bethany called her.
"What happened?"
Bethany explained the entire conversation.
Charlotte listened carefully.
When Bethany finished, Charlotte said gently,
"This sounds like two people who are afraid—but for different reasons."
Bethany wiped away a tear.
"I'm afraid of ignoring my health."
"And Larry?"
"Maybe he's afraid of losing you."
That afternoon, Anthony decided to visit Larry.
"You okay?"
Larry shook his head.
"No."
Anthony sat down beside him.
"I heard about the argument."
Larry sighed deeply.
"I never should've said what I said."
"So why did you?"
"I was scared."
Anthony nodded.
"Then tell her that."
Larry looked confused.
"What do you mean?"
"You gave her an ultimatum."
"What you actually felt was fear."
"Those are two very different conversations."
Larry remained silent.
Later that evening, Larry returned home.
Bethany was sitting on the back porch watching the sunset.
He quietly took a seat beside her.
For several minutes, neither of them spoke.
Finally, Larry broke the silence.
"I'm sorry."
Bethany looked at him.
"I let my fear turn into pressure."
She listened quietly.
"I don't want to control your decisions."
"I was terrified that something might happen to you again."
Bethany reached for his hand.
"I understand why you're scared."
She continued,
"But I need to make healthcare decisions with my doctors—not out of fear."
Larry nodded.
"You're right."
"I shouldn't have threatened divorce."
Bethany gave a small smile.
"And I should have done a better job explaining why the consultation matters to me."
The next day, they scheduled an appointment with Bethany's local physician to discuss the follow-up together.
Instead of arguing about assumptions, they agreed to hear professional medical advice first and then decide whether traveling to Miami was necessary.
As they left the clinic, Larry turned to Bethany.
"No more ultimatums."
Bethany smiled.
"No more silence."
They both realized that while fear had nearly driven them apart, honest communication had brought them back to the same side—working together to make thoughtful decisions about Bethany's health and their future as a couple

Post a Comment